write to firstname.lastname@example.org for contribution
Whenever there used to be comparison between .NET and Java, one of the winning point for Java was that it supports cross-platform and same has been a demand of developer community from .NET framework too.
Microsoft along with community has been working towards the solution and .NET core framework is the answer.
ASP.NET Core is a open-source web framework which runs on both the full .NET Framework, on Windows, and the cross-platform .NET Core.
With ASP.NET core framework we can build web apps, IoT apps, services and mobile apps. It can use development tools on Windows, macOS and Linux.
Features of ASP.NET core framework
No doubt, lot of projects are still getting executed using asp.net for web apps development. But ASP.NET core with architectural changes give more leaner and modular framework.
Following are few benefits of using ASP.Net Core.
- Provides support to build & run apps on cross-platforms like Windows, Mac and Linux
- Provides unified web stack for Web UI and Web APIs
- Provides integration support with client-side frameworks that includes Bootstrap, KnockoutJS & AngularJS
- Provides Built-in support for dependency injection
- Provides support to host on IIS or self-host in your own process
- Supports cloud based environment.
- Gives high performance with light weight and modular http request pipeline.
- Support side-by-side app versioning on .Net core run.
- ASP.NET Core is built on the .NET Core run-time, but it can also run on the full .NET Framework for maximum compatibility.
- Modern web development made simple by tooling.
- Community focused and open source.
Choosing between .NET Core and .NET Framework
Now we have two option to code server-side applications with .NET, .Net Framework and .NET Core. so which framework to choose in which scenario is the key to the success of project.
Following are few important points to be considered for choosing framework.
When to use .Net Core for server application:
- When there is a requirement of High-performance and scalable systems
- When application need to be deployed and run on cross platforms.
- Micro Services
- Utilizing Docker containers
- Side-by-side .NET versions per application
When to use .Net Framework for server application:
- When existing apps are using .Net Framework and there is a need of functional changes in system.
- When there is a requirement of using third-party .Net libraries which are not accessible through .Net Core.
- App utilizes a platform that doesn’t support .Net Core.
ASP.NET core in Azure
Azure provides service called “Web app” as a part of app services to host ASP.NET core web sites in cloud.
While publishing/deploying site form visual studio you will need to set appropriate target .NET core framework.
After publishing default web site from visual studio, this is how your default web site will look like.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $31.48Was: $59.99
- Price: $31.19Was: $59.99
- Building Microservices with ASP.NET Core: Develop, Test, and Deploy Cross-Platform Services in the CloudPrice: $47.99Was: $59.99
- Price: $41.55Was: $47.00
- Price: $39.49Was: $49.99
- Price: $30.61Was: $37.99
- Price: Check on Amazon